The brain can recover if people are set up for success says Taylor. Taylor says that our loved ones would like us to . . . . .
1. Honor the healing power of sleep
2. Treat me like I will recover completely
3. Challenge my brain systems (balanced with sleep)
4. Love me for who I am
5. Help me to define my priorities for energy use
6. Focus on my abilitites (not my shortcomings)
7. Give my brain years to recover
8. Help me to divide every tasks into smaller action steps
9. Recognize that I am not stupid; I am wounded
10. Come close: Do not be afraid of me
Dr. Taylor suffered from a stroke at the age of 37 and has a brother who suffers from schizophrenia. She stated that it took her eight years to recover from her stroke. You can learn more by reading her book My Stroke of Insight; her powerfully insightful journey of recovery.